Sipplingen | Sipplingen Osthafen
The site was discovered in 1864/65, and already at that time, deemed one of the largest shoreline settlements on the entire Bodensee. First scientific examinations were made inside a caisson, by H. Reinerth of the Research Institute for Prehistory at Tübingen. The first true underwater studies were done in the 1970’s, by archaeological divers of the Zurich City archaeologists, with support by the Fritz-Thyssen-Stiftung and the German Research Foundation (DFG).
Neolithic / Bronze Age
3919-3653, 3316-3200, 3150-2855, 2666-2415 and 934 B.C.
Lake of Constance (Überlinger See)
Size of the site 4,61 ha / approx. 6 soccer pitches
Size of the bufferzone 6,23 ha / approx. 9 soccer pitches
Special Features & Highlights
The site is the best preserved prehistoric settlement complex on the entire Bodensee. Up to three meter thick archaeological sediments contain excellently preserved architectural remains, textiles, foodstuff, utensils and bones. What makes the site especially valuable, are its rare late Neolithic horizons. Thanks to these layers, it was possible to obtain new scientific insights into the development of settlement strategies, the environment and the economy of the Neolithic. The site’s scientific potential is still very large.
Large areas of the site are already covered with geotextile and protected by a layer of gravel. The site is monitored and regularly inspected by the Department of Antiquities and Monuments.
Pile Dwellings up close
The site can be visited individually.
More information and contact:
Sammlung Regenscheit in der Tourist-Information Sipplingen.
to the website